The team is proud to announce the release candidate of VirtueMart 2.
Download VM2-RC-Plugins/Modules All-in-one Installer (updated)
The Release Candidate contains a lot new features:
- Media Handler (multiple images)
- Custom Fields (replacing the old attributes, producttypes, variants,...)
- True Child Products in the sense of OOP (unpublished parents can be used as linked product pattern)
- Mail template system
- New Currency Formatting possibilities
- More Modules and Plugins
- New Admin Menu Layout
- Meta Tags
- More Filters and Search Options
- Completely Anonymous Checkout
- Revenue Report
- New Templates
What happend with J1.6 support?
We had started to support J1.6 in a VM2 Beta release, but Joomla does not make this an easy task. Joomla version 1.6 is supported by Jooomla only for a very short period of 6 months and in addition to that they changed so many things again after 3 months, that Virtuemart 2 initially became incompatible again. In approximately two months from now they will already release J1.7.
For more information please read about VM2 and Joomla! 1.6
Most of the work we did was finetuning many details. We added all known currency formats, improved listings, the meta tags and page titles are better for SEO now, improved ergonomics, etc...
The new custom fields system at the moment only supports what was done with variants in the previous version. But the new system should make the "computer configurator" possible.
What is left to be done for the final release?
- Our focus is now on security, speed, ergonomics and on payment/shipment plugins.
- We already added some blockers for cross-site scripting and now we will add more of these and pay more attention to prevent sql injections.
- We will slim down again the code to improve speed.
- We are going to write some payment plugins, for examplel Authorize and PayPal and also a shipment plugin for downloadables.
- The media handler has some teething problems.
- Recommend a product to a friend is not working yet.
- Custom Fields currently show a few options which are not yet working correctly.